Review: The Guy Next Door

the guy next door. meg cabot, book reviews

✩✩

Melissa Fuller, gossip columnist of the New York Journal, is on the brink of losing her job. On this particular morning, she is 68 minutes late for work, making it her 37th late arrival so far this year. Human Resources have given her another official warning, her boss seriously doubts her commitment to the paper and, more importantly, even her best friend has begun to worry about her psychological well being. This time, however, Melissa has a real excuse. She has just saved her elderly neighbour from a near-fatal attack, taken her to a hospital, and in the process, become sole custodian of Paco, her Great Dane - not the ideal accessory for a New York City girl. Melissa urgently needs to trace her neighbor's only relative, but when she finally meets him, the real trouble starts.
Genre: contemporary romance

Publishing date: March 2009

Mature content: no

Review: while Meg Cabot is mostly known for her Princess Diaries series, she has written a few "grown-up" books, and The Guy Next Door is one of them. When I first downloaded this book, I didn't realize that the entire story was told in e-mail format, and I was bit disappointed at first. Well, I'm glad to say I was wrong. Meg Cabot manages to tell a full, interesting, funny story just through the e-mails sent between the characters. There's no text in the book other than in e-mail format, and, strangely, it works just fine. 


This is 100% light reading, so don't expect a very complicated plot, profound life lessons or even detailed information about the characters. It has some pretty hilarious moments and it's just meant to distract you and make you feel good. We all need one of those books once in a while, and that's why I recommend it. 


Happy readings, 


the book worm, book blog



Comments

  1. Sounds like a fun read! I think the email format would have put me off a little too, although I do love a good epistolary novel! Have you read Dear Mr. Knightley? Or Ella Minnow Pea? Or The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society (or whatever that book is called)? :) Those are my three favorite epistolary novels. They are all so much fun and great for re-reads too!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I haven't read any of those books, but I'm adding them to my list now! I'm always looking for fun reads (though the list keeps growing fasted than I can read...)

      Delete

Post a Comment