Review: Shifting Dreams

Book Review: Shifting Dreams, by Elizabeth Hunter

✩✩

Somedays Jena Crowe just can't get a break. Work at her diner never ends, her two boys are bundles of energy, and she's pretty sure her oldest is about to shift into something furry or feathery. Added to that, changes seem to be coming to the tiny town of Cambio Springs, big changes that not everyone in the isolated town of shapeshifters is thrilled about. 

   Caleb Gilbert was looking for change, and the quiet desert town seemed just the ticket for a more peaceful life. He never counted on violence finding him, nor could he have predicted just how crazy his new life would become.
   When murder rocks their small community, Caleb and Jena will have to work together. And when the new Chief of Police isn't put off by any of her usual defenses, Jena may be faced with the most frightening change of all: lowering the defenses around her carefully guarded heart.

Genre: paranormal

Publishing date: March 2013

Mature content: yes


Review: Only Elizabeth Hunter could have me reading a shifters novel. This is a genre I had never tried before because I thought it fairly unrealistic. But then, so are vampires and sons of fallen angels, and I still loved the Elemental series and the Irin Chronicles, So I decided to give Cambio Springs a try. 

I have to say I'm still not sure I'm entirely convinced about the whole shifters thing, but from a pure fictional point of view, Shifting Dreams is an entertaining read. There's humor, there's drama, romance, and a bit of suspense. Caleb and Jenna are perfect together, even if he has a hard time convincing her of it.




It just doesn't get five starts because the plot is a bit messy in places (like when Caleb's cousin Charlie, who has been dead for a while, shows up in the shape of a coyote - I didn't get that part or why it was relevant, and unless it is explained somewhere later in the series, probably I never will), there are a few repeated phrases here and there (almost down to exactly the same words, which always irks me a bit since invariably I find myself going back in the book and trying to find where I read that before), and the characters are not always consistent (although maybe because they're all shifters, that was to be expected).

But these are all minor details and should not detract you from a compelling read which will account for a well spent summer afternoon. Recommended.

Happy readings,

the book worm, book review






Comments