Review: Completely Yours

Book Review: Completely Yours, by Erin Nicholas


Kiera Connelly leads a quiet life, and that's just how she likes it. She's built a name as a graphic designer and meets up with her friends online, all from the comfort of her living room couch. But when a rare outing turns disastrous, Kiera finds herself up close and way too personal with an unbelievably hot real-life hero.
Zach Ashley doesn't see himself as a hero. He's just a regular guy who gets to help people every day as an EMT. But when he's called to a scene and has to treat his most gorgeous patient ever, he finds himself mixing work with pleasure. He never hesitates to put his life on the line...but will he ever risk his heart?



Genre: contemporary romance

Publishing date: December 2016

 
Mature content: yes

Review: As much as I tried, I couldn't make myself enjoy this book. It started out in the wrong foot, with Zach, and EMT, straying from his job in an emergency situation because he's infatuated with a girl he's just met. It doesn't matter if it's love at first sight, or lust at first sight - I certainly don't want to believe that any EMT in real life would focus on a strange girl instead of his job when lives are at stake. And then said girl goes home with him, a guy she's just met, so he can take care of her. Really? I do know this is a romance novel, but it's still supposed to make sense. right? I couldn't grasp the familiarity between Zach and Kiera just mere hours after they met. It's just unnatural and unrealistic.

Past that bumpy start the plot improved a bit, but then I got stuck again when they start sexting. After that, all bets were off. I just finished reading it because I don't like to leave any book unfinished but, to be honest, it's pretty much a waste of time. 

The romance is not credible, the sex scenes are too graphic (and not in a good way), and in my opinion, this books passes on to readers a totally wrong message - that you can escape your real life problems with video games and virtual friends. I know that once in a while we all need to escape and to relax, but what comes through in Completely Yours is exactly the opposite of what I want my kids to learn. You do need to grow up and to deal with the problems in your life, not hide from them. They will not go away while you play games. Aimee, Zach's eighteen year old sister who apparently is not working or studying and lives in her room all day is just not a god example for anyone. Yes, she does open up a bit towards the end of the book, but there are lots of unresolved issues with her that bothered me. Again, I'm aware that this is a romance novel, but I'm also a believer that any book has the power to educate in some way, and this one doesn't work that way.

So, while I do love the concept of this series (Completely Yours is book one in the Opposites Attract series by Erin Nicholas, with book two, Forever Mine to be realised later this week), everything else is just wrong. I do realise I'm the minority here, because Completely Yours has some raving reviews on Amazon, so I may give book two a try one of these days and hopefully it will be better, but book one I doesn't get a recommendation from me.

Happy readings, 

the book worm, book blog



Comments