Review: Red Clover Inn

Book Review: Red Clover Inn, by Carla Neggers


✩✩


Marine archaeologist Charlotte Bennett is no stranger to risk, but her dives into sunken wreckage are always meticulously planned. However, being the maid of honor in her cousin Samantha's English wedding gives her a new perspective on her life as a nomad who's given up on romance altogether. Though an encounter with roguish wedding guest Greg Rawlings leaves her unsettled, the other people she meets make a trip to the tranquil town of Knights Bridge, Massachusetts, enticing. Acting on impulse, Charlotte offers to house-sit at Red Clover Inn while Sam and Justin Sloan are away on their honeymoon. 
The quaint inn isn't open to the public yet and Charlotte will have quiet time to plan her next project. It might also give her a chance to see how her cousin found love and a sense of family. But the peace is immediately disrupted when Greg shows up at the inn. The Diplomatic Security Service agent lives a dangerous life, and he, too, wants to clear his head before his next assignment. Juggling work, raising his two teenage children and nursing a wounded heart has left him jaded, and the last thing he expects is to find himself falling for the willful Charlotte. As the attraction between them flares, Charlotte realizes she might be in too deep. And each of them must decide if they can put love first before it's too late.


Genre: contemporary romance

Publishing date: April 2017

Mature content: yes, but nothing too graphic

Review: This is an OK book, but not much more than that. It is true that I haven't read most of the previous books in the series (the last one I read was a Knights Bridge Christmas), but even if I had I'm pretty sure I would have been half lost in the middle of all the characters. I think I would need to keep notes and maybe set up genealogical trees to keep them all in track. Actually, even the book says so: 

"It’s all these Knights Bridge connections. Don’t try to figure them out. You’ll tie yourself in knots." 

I read until the end, but I felt a bit disappointed. Charlotte and Greg's easy banter and funny dialogs at the beginning of the book promised a much more interesting and fast paced plot. Instead, there are too many characters to keep track of, too many side stories and after a while the plot slows to a crawl. To be honest, I found myself bored, which is kind of sad because the romance is sweet and heartwarming and the place couldn't be more charming. 

So unless you're a die hard Carla Neggers fan, I can't bring myself to actually recommend this book. I do love the cover, though, that one is just perfect. 

Have a wonderful weekend, 


keepiing it real, craft blog

Comments