Review: Let There Be Love




Book Review: Let There Be Love, by Melissa Storm, 2 stars


✩✩

Lauren Dalton’s world shattered the day her father died. Now she’s willing to move four-thousand miles away from the only home she’s ever known in hopes of discovering the truth about his hidden past.
Shane Ramsey’s reputation says all anyone needs to know. He’s an amazing racer, but a terrible person. When an injury leaves him unable to work his dogs, he must swallow his pride and accept help for the sake of his team.
Will Shane open his home and his heart to the young woman who already shares his greatest love? Will Lauren find her place—and the truth about her family’s past—in helping the cantankerous Shane?

Genre: contemporary romance

Publication date: September 2017

Mature content: no

Review: When I first heard of Let There Be Love, I expected it to be a nice, clean romance. Well, it was clean, no mature content to report. Nice? Not so much. Romance? Well, not really either. Amazon advertises it as paying tribute to the great literary tradition of Jane Eyre. Really? Please don't compare this with anything written by Charlotte Brontë. 

There are only raving reviews on Amazon too, so I'm here thinking that I didn't read the same book as everybody else. For me there are too many wrong things with Let There Be Love to mention them all, so I'll just list a few. 

Lauren is either too immature or too dumb to believe that taking on a new job about which she knew nothing about, and job that involves taking care of animals at that, wouldn't entail some sort of training. But then, it's just as hard to believe she would be hired on the spot (or rather, at a long distance, since apparently she was hired for a job in Alaska while she was still in New York), to take care of a pack of competition dogs, with no relevant credentials at all. On top of that, she's also expected to do the house work, something her employer seems to have failed to mention beforehand. I also found hard to believe all those dogs would be so friendly to her without some sort of adaptation period, but then I don't know enough about sleigh dogs to judge. 

Shane, on the other hand, comes across as rude, brute and borderline abusive. He orders Lauren around as if she was a slave, kicks stuff, cleans his mouth with the back of his hand (yes, don't we all love our male heroes to do that?) and basically blames Lauren for everything bad that happens. 

He's all that, but then when she threatens to leave, he apologizes and promises he will behave and everything is Ok again. Until next time. See a pattern there? Now, I do believe everyone deserves a second chance, but to me this spells abusive relationship all the way. Is it a retelling of Beauty and the Best? Maybe. Does it pass on the wrong message? Yes.

And then, there's that love declaration, right before the happily ever after:
Shane laughed and kissed her finger. “I love how you think. And I love you, too.” 
“Finally!” Lauren said with an exaggerated huff. “I was beginning to think you’d never tell me.” 
He looked confused. “What? That I love you? I’ve told you before, haven’t I?” 
It sounds like they're discussing something he forgot to buy at the grocery story instead of true love. And it makes total sense that a man would forget if he's told a woman you loved her before, because that's not really relevant, right? Yep, you can see why those two are definitely not my favorite pair.

I'm rating Let There Be Love with two stars just because I think the story did have potential, and and the mystery involving Lauren's parents did manage to engage a minimum amount of interest from me, but this isn't a book I would recommend.

Oh well, better luck next time.

Have a wonderful weekend,


the book worm, book blog


Comments