Review: This Gun for Hire

Book Review: This Gun for Hire, by Jo Goodman, 5 stars

✩✩


Former army cavalryman Quill McKenna takes pride in protecting the most powerful man in Stonechurch, Colorado: Mr. Ramsey Stonechurch himself. But the mine owner has enemies, and after several threats on his life, mines, and family, Quill decides to hire someone to help guard the boss’s daughter. Only problem is the uncontrollable attraction he feels toward the fiery-haired woman who takes the job.
Calico Nash has more knowledge of scouting and shooting than cross-stitching, but she agrees to pose as Ann’s private tutor while protecting her. But between her growing attraction to Quill and the escalating threats against the Stonechurches, Calico will soon have a choice to make—hang on to her hard-won independence or put her faith in Quill to create the kind of happy ending she never imagined…

Genre: historical romance

Publication date: April 2015

Mature content: yes

Review: This Gun for Hire is another amazing book by Jo Goodman. A few pages into it I realized this story actually comes before another one I read a while ago (The Devil You Know), and while they can be both read as stand-alones, I think if makes more sense to read them in order. When I read The Devil You Know I thought that one was the best books I'd read by Jo Goodman. After going through This Gun for Hire, I'm changing my opinion. This Gun for Hire is surely the best.

The plot is absolutely engaging, the suspense and the twists and turns will keep you up late into the night because you won't be able to put it down, and the characters are very compelling. The romance is sweet and, in a way, uncomplicated - there are no second meanings, no hesitations: Quill and Calico know they are meant to be. As characters go, Quill is just perfect as he is and Calico is the perfect combination of smart woman and ruthless bounty hunter. I seriously believe there's nothing she couldn't pull out. But together? They are explosive. Their banter will make you smile and shake your head at the same time, but there's no denying that they make a wonderful team. They complement each other, two halves of the same whole. 


 
My favorite quote: 
"And there you are, the woman who threatens me, challenges me, makes me laugh. Often all at once. I do not know how not to love you. You are clever, courageous. You humble me, and you lift me up. How can I not want you to be with me?"


This Gun for Hire is an outstanding book and should not miss it. Totally recommended!

Have a wonderful weekend,

the book worm, book blog


Comments